Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Donchian Channels

A Donchian Channel is the formed by the high and low of the past n days. For my purposes, I used weekly data on the S&P500 from 1950 through May. I ignored interest compared the returns (w/o considering dividends) with a strategy investing when the market is above the 40 week (200 day) average. I checked several different ns, but 20 weeks (100 days) seems fairly standard. The results are generally consistent no matter how many weeks are chosen. When a 20 week high is hit, then a buy signal is generated and similarly a sell signal is generated for the 20 week low. I used a 10 week ATR to measure a trailing stop (high-2*ATR or low+2*ATR) as my exit.

When in a position, the SMA strategy generates a 10.6% annualized return with 12.05% standard deviation (1983 weeks).

The short side of the strategy generally underperforms. In other words, equity markets (as represented by the S&P500), do not tend to trend downwards after hitting 20 week lows. The long side of the strategy generates a 7.6% return with a 14.1% standard deviation in 3005 months. I wouldn't be surprised if additional filters would allow the long-side to have strong profits. For example, an additional requirement for a buy signal (not as an exit) with price greater than the 20 week moving average increases return to 8.3% and a 12.3% standard deviation. Combining the two original strategies together generally results in a return not significantly different from 0%. Since this is the basis for the turtle trader strategy, I would consider this pretty important. Unless you're a short-term trader, quant, or hedge fund, I would recommend staying away from shorting equities. Since the turtles mostly traded commodities and currencies, I wouldn't be surprised if this type of strategy works better on the individual components (as this would probably work better on individual stocks rather than equities as an asset class). I still feel that keeping things simple with the 200 day would probably be your best bet.

Since the short strategy generally results in the underperformance, I considered flipping a long when at the 20 week low and the market is greater than the 25 week SMA (no cases when this occurs for the 20 week). This strategy by itself produces a 14.9% return with 14.1% volatility. Unfortunately, over more than 50 years, this happens in only 55 times. I did some other tests in TradeStation with the ADX which also seems to be a successful filter, but the data I was using wasn't nearly as long a time period. I wouldn't be surprised if short-term reversals in equities generate strong returns, but those strategies generally require strong risk management

No comments: