Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New Blog

I am a recent graduate of a graduate program in Economics (where Israel Kirzner taught) and thankfully just heard that I passed level 1 of the C.F.A. exam. I mention that only to say I know a little what I'm talking about, but I'm always learning more. I am working in the finance industry trading equities principally on a short-term intraday basis. This blog will reflect my opinions about current short-term market conditions, long-term prospects as well as my thoughts and opinions about Economics in general. I don't mean to comment on politics (about which I tend to be so passionate that I am indifferent between most candidates) except in relation to how policies will affect the market. I'm not sure how long this blog will last or how much I will get out of this or if I will have any readers at all. One thing I know: if there's a time to take risks, it's when you're young.

I will generally try to stay away from discussing set-ups, entries, exits, money-management, or any other specifics about trading strategies. This site is mostly for commentary. That said I might put on different "time horizon" caps when I discuss different subjects. From the short-term perspective (5 to 15 minutes) a Fed rate cut (like today, 1/30/2008) might be a good chance to earn a good return. However, that doesn't imply the same strategy should be adopted by a long-term investor. Given my short-term strategy, I can frequently change from a bullish to bearish perspective and back with little thought or cost. This may not be the case for the person with a longer time horizon and I will do my best to make clear what my thoughts are on the market and the time horizon for those thoughts.

No comments: